Homemade lip balm is SO easy to make. If you’re interested in making your own products then this is a great recipe to start with. If you want a natural, chemical free, cheap alternative to shop bought lip balm, then this recipe may be for you. This homemade lip balm deeply moisturises and nourishes cracked lips, plus you are avoiding the plastic packaging that most lip balms come in. Give it a go, I’m sure you’ll love it.
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil (or an alternative oil such as coconut)
- (Optional) essential oils
The ratio of beeswax to oil is 1:2. For example, to make one little jar of lip balm you will need 2 teaspoons of beeswax plus 4 teaspoons of oil. You can apply the ratio to make as much as you like.
- Grate the required amount of beeswax and combine with the oil.
- If you have a microwave then you can carefully use it to melt the combination, but make sure to check it every 10 seconds or so. If you don’t have a microwave (like us) then you can use a water bath (bain marie) to gently warm the mixture. Once the wax has completely dissolved into the oil, then the mixture is done.
- If you want to add some scent, then a few drops of essential oils can be added at this stage. I never bother as I like the smell of the oil and beeswax.
- Pour or spoon the mixture into a little container. I use little jam jars. If you’re using a spoon then it’s a good idea to warm it under hot water first – otherwise the lip balm will instantly set on the cold surface of the spoon.
- Leave the mixture to cool
- Voila! You have successfully made lip balm:)
I hope you are inspired to have a go and make some yourself. It’s better than any lip balm I’ve ever bought, as it deeply moisturises. Friends and family have reported that they love it too, and I often get requests to make them another jar. For another simple homemade recipe, take a look at my natural homemade deodorant recipe.
Never miss a thing! If you’d like to be alerted of new blog posts, subscribe to our newsletter.